Sunday, September 20, 2015

UNPACKING THE INVIBLE KNAPSACK
By: Mclntosh


Quotes:

"I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group".

White privilege is not, always subtle, especially, male white privilege.  According to Mclntosh, there are so many things a white person can do that is taboo for people of color.  As the author of this piece suggests, a white person can choose public accommodation without fearing that, people of his or her race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places he or she has chosen.

The author further , singles out that he or she can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having his or her co-workers on the job suspect that he or she got it because of his or her race.  She further more explains that his her skin color was an asset for any move he or she was educated to want to make. 

Peggy thinks that in proportion as his or her racial group was being made confident, comfortable and forgetful, whereas other groups were likely being made unconfident, uncomfortable and alienated.  She goes on to pinpoint that whiteness protected her from many kinds of hostility, distress or violence.  White privilege intertwines with male while privilege.  I cannot even imaging why females whether they are white or black should be paid less even if they have the same qualification.  This makes me think that, a white man buying a new car will be offered a cheaper price than a woman buyer.

 
In my conclusion, as I said in the beginning, of this write up, white privilege is not subtle but easily not noticeable.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the video, it was suiting to the arguments you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina, I like how you mentioned that "white privilege is not subtle but easily not noticeable" I agree with that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading what you had to say and I completely agree with it. I also like watching your video and how it connected nicely with the arguments you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your points on the pay difference between men and women really struck home with me. My best friend and her fiancé both work as restaurant managers for the same company. She graduated with a bachelors degree in food and beverage management while he has no college experience yet he makes more than she. It's crazy that even qualifications don't matter sometimes.

    ReplyDelete